The objectives of this program is to provide the community as a “live” classroom to deepen understandings of social issues and instill a sense of responsibility to communities; empower students to become active, knowledgeable, and effective world citizens; and to help the students develop hard skills learned in school & expand the student´s repertoire of soft skills .
As this is a Service Learning program, students are asked dedicate at least eight hours a week to the foundation that the UVM has agreed to partner with for the given semester, as well as the successful completion of the Service Learning Course. During the Service Learning Course students will study the economic and cultural significance of the chosen organization.
Outreach V works with various NGOs and Non-profit organizations in the Valparaiso region.
Time and Solidarity
4 hours a week of volunteer service
Successful completion of the Service Learning Course (64 contact hours/4 US credit/5 ECTS)
- Public Grade School where student help as a language teacher’s assistant. Students will help the English teacher with classroom activities in their native language in a public school.
- Children´s Home monitor, where students will work and play with children, between 1-10 years old, who have been removed from their homes, or have been abandoned by their families.
- Assistant to intellectually disabled adolescents and young adults, where students have the opportunity to work in a recycling workshop where disabled adolescents and young adults are taught work skills.
- National Park’s volunteer where students are able to work in one of the following areas within the park to help support the important job they do to preserve native plants and trees from the region: gardening, greenhouse, transplantations, or the research laboratory.
- Children’s hospital volunteer, where students are able to work with the professional staff of a local children’s hospital with their duties to feed, educate, and interact with the children.
- Assist at a local NGO that provides physical therapy services for children and young adults who otherwise would not be able to receive such help. Here students will accompany children and their families as they wait to be attended by the medical staff.